Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Pictures Help Tell The News

When people hold their newspapers, they notice the big headlines and the pictures. These are the things that draw their attention. If the pictures look interesting, they will read the captions which are the short pieces of text or descriptions beside or below the picture.

If I don't have enough time to read the newspapers, I normlly glance through the pages and if I find the pictures very interesting or intriguing, I would stop briefly and just read the accompanying text.  If I find time to read the papers later on the day, I would go back to those pictures again and read the stories beside it.

It's interesting to think how photos or even graphics on newspapers and magazines help 'sell' the news stories to the readers. Photos and graphics have become marketing 'tools' to help promote a news story, and sell the publication- at least in my own opinion. I would know an attention-grabbing photo with a very good caption when I see one. Photos in general should be able to tell you the news. Although photos cannot do it alone, it cannot give readers all the answers to the story like Who? What? Where? When? Why? and How?  In this case, captions should be able to make it clear to the readers what's happening in the picture or who is in it.

If you're able to see today's paper, is there any picture that caught your attention? And, did you ever bother to read the caption? I thought then that looking at pictures (including graphics) and the corresponding captions serve as a good exercise to anyone interested in copy editing. We undoubtedly use our common sense when we look at pictures and see if the caption helps explain what's being told in the picture. If you were in-charge of putting photos and captions in a print or online publication, you will surely need to have an eye on this stuff but for everyday readers of the Winnipeg Free Press for instance, readers don't necessarily have to build up on that skill; their quick response to look at the picture and read its corresponding caption is enough to tell you that you have succeeded in getting their attention.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm... pictures get people's attention, and help encourage them to read on. You've shown how newspapers use the clarity principle to grab their readers' attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the pictures too. Especially if I'm too tired after a long day of CreComm! Sometimes I wish the newspapers came in a pop-up edition. I think they would sell more copies :)
    Great post !

    ReplyDelete