Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Go Ahead, Edit My Copy

Editing is one task that not many people are cut-out to do unless you are passionate about it; have the knack for it; or are extremely 'entertained' checking on someone else's work.

For several years, I've worked as a copywrtier. As I write, edit and proofread my own work, I've grown accustomed to looking at my work in a very critical way with the help of feedback from my own creative team and that from the client side. To 'lovingly' look at my copy let's say for a brochure, would involve admiration for the overall design of the material minus the text. Maybe it's just me but I've trained myself to look at my text more objectively. Working in a creative environment but with a good sense for business and exceptional account management, editing is a skill that I've learned over the years and something which I don't take personally-- certainly, not at all.

As a copywriter, I was my own worst critic. Even after I've completed a copy for a car ad or credit card brochure, I would grab and put on a different hat. My invisible magnifying glass would skim through the words line by line and spot for errors. Should I find one, an alarm bell would ring and sound off an annoyingly screeching sound, loud enough to deafen my ears. But there were several times as well when editing was unsolicitedly done by my own clients (peeps from the marketing department) who would automatically don a ten gallon hat, more fancy than the one I wore and would scrutinize the copy I've just written. Often times, the process of editing wasn't followed at all. Just by the quick snap of a finger, their wish to have an 'overhaul' on my copy, was the simplest route they can take even without bothering to understand the concept or tone behind my copy and provide constructive feedback.

Having someone else edit my copy is no big deal to me -I would really appreciate it so long as feedback is given especially if reasons for such changes are also brought to my attention. But going back to those days of copywriting work, editing in its true essence wasn't normally followed. Clients vary just like the projects I handled. Changes to my copy after it's being presented reflected somehow the 'personality type' of my client. So long as people have different tastes for food, there would always be differences and unique tastes for editing styles; at least this was the case for me when I worked as a copywriter. If  my copy was a huge success without being subjected to any kind of editing (or even with slight edits supported by the client's explanation), a mark of approval would then be given. As with my own worst critic, I would receive a pat on the shoulder for a job well done.

3 comments:

  1. If you had a choice, would you rather write only or edit only? first draft writer or editor? Our editing course made me realize editing someone else's work is not easy.

    Personally, I'd rather be the first draft writer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pat on the shoulder feels good, doesn't it?
    Money is even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Eman: Tough question! If I had a choice, I'd rather be a writer but that wouldn't exempt me from editing my own work. I would also choose to be a first draft writer. Yeah, I also realized editing is not a piece of cake :)

    @ Duncan: Ha, ha! Yes, it does! Money on the other hand is a sweet reward :)

    ReplyDelete