Sunday, September 12, 2010

Learning from Botched Headlines

 Our second week into the first semester went by so quickly, and so were the assignments handed-out to us in an almost regular fashion. I am one of those studens who 'like' doing assignments-- not because I have to but because these assignments are meant to hasten my skills and further improve my knowledge.

This weekend, I was surfing the internet to do some online research on my radio assignment when I accidentally stumbled upon a website that contains all these funny and ambiguous headlines used in newspapers. Unfortunately, the sources were not given but simply enumerated some of the most ambiguous, weird, and funny headlines you would ever read. I think these headlines will make you laugh or probably make you cringe in dismay. When I was reading these headlines, I was beginning to appreciate more the value of copy editing. So, here are some examples of the headlines I found. The italicized texts are my comments on how the headlines should be re-written.

1. Two sisters reunite after eighteen years at checkout counter
-Eighteen years is a very long time to be at the chekout counter! I think this headline should be re-written as 'Two sisters reunite at checkout counter after eighteen years'

2. Eye drops off shelf
-It's not even Halloween but this is scary! Maybe it's supposed to mean, 'Eye-drops off shelf'

3. Squad helps dog bite victim
-Very ambiguous headline. Probably the headline should be re-written something like this-- 'Squad helps dog-bite victim'

4. Two Soviet ships collide - one dies
-I never thought that ships were living things! Probably this headline should be re-written as 'Two Soviet ships collide - one man dies'

BONUS: For the last three examples, I will let you have a look at it and see what could be the best way to re-write it.

5. Enraged cow injures farmer with ax
Revise headline as:__________________________________________

6. Miners refuse to work after death
Revise headline as: ___________________________________________

7. Lawmen in Mexico barbecue guests
Revise headline as: ___________________________________________

Did you have fun? I hope you did! So often we take newspaper headlines for granted. One thing I've realized about headlines is this-- if we're trying our best to deliver factual news to the public, it should be done responsibly. Tabloid newspapers on the other hand often have sensationalized headline copy but I think since we are learning to write proper headlines and captions, we have to make it a habit to write things in a correct and proper way so that the readers will be better informed.

Just in case you find any weird or funny headlines out there, do share it with me. Aside from the 'entertainment value', we'll be learning more about copy editing in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment