Thursday, September 9, 2010

One more thing for food lovers to be hAPPy about!


If you own a wireless mobile device and if you're a food lover at the same time (who isn't?), then there is one more thing to be hAPPy about! An app from Canada Food Netwoork can now be downloaded onto your iPhone or iPod.

This app allows you to search for thousands of recipes from delectable desserts to sumptuous dishes. You can also view how-to videos, tips and techniques, and receive Recipe of the Day updates. What's more, you can also use its grocery list feature which will come in very handy when planning for your next meal.


What I like about the Canada Food Network app is its unique feature to help you search for very specific recipes. I am not just talking about typing a recipe name but it gives you different options to look for recipes by main ingredient; meal type/course; global cuisine; occasion; popular picks; and quick & easy. For example, let's say I'm planning for a special meal this coming weekend and I'd like to use beef as my main ingredient. All I have to do is touch 'Main Ingredient' on my search filters screen and touch 'View Results'. In a split second, I can now see that there are 83 results or 83 dishes making use of beef as a main ingredient. Each recipe is a file of its own complete with a list of ingredients, directions, and picture. It's also equipped with options to let you read any posted comments, rating, and available photos.

Should there be a particular recipe that you would like to share with family and friends, you can simply 'Add/Share' the recipe through your Twitter, Facebook, and email. You're also given other options to add your favourite recipe onto your 'Add to My Recipes' list or even onto your 'Add to Grocery List' if you happen to plan and buy the ingredients right away.

This app certainly follows the principles of persuasion which are:
  • Identification- It's very convenient and helpful to me. I get free recipes, watch helpful videos, and more! As a food lover and meal planner in the family, this app is certainly very helpful.
  • Clarity- I am very familiar with the logo. When I see the app, I know right away what it's for. The navigation buttons are very recognizable and the pictures of chefs from Canada Food Network let me recall the shows I've been following for a long time.
  • Action- I can easily view and check thousands of recipes at my fingertips. There's no need to look for a computer with internet access or even visit the website address of Canada Food Network to check for updates. Also, everytime I fancy a new recipe and would like to try it, I can easily manage my grocery list at the same time. Sharing recipes with friends and family members is very easy too, since there are option buttons for Facebook, Twitter, and email.
  • Familiarity and Trust- I have been a regular viewer of Canada Food Network for several years already. I also recognize the photos of chefs which allow me to recall their shows on television.
So if you don't have this wonderful app yet, now is the time for you to download it. Best of all, it's FREE!




4 comments:

  1. I think I'm going to have to download it and search for easy recipes to try out! Thanks for writing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! You'll enjoy it, for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd add Epicurious and Yelp. Awesome food apps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way this app carries the overall approach of the Food Network, which is to help the home viewer branch out in his/her cooking. Their "experts" show us how to cook like they do, and now the app helps make that easy too (shopping lists, ingredient searches, etc.).

    ReplyDelete