Thursday, March 4, 2010

Loving a sick child

Think about the times when your day doesn't turn out the way you planned it, and you've got to make adjustments and be flexible to any changes.

For those of you who have been following my blog, you may already have an idea that I'm one busy mom. Not only do I wear the apron and serve as the light-bearer of my household, or that person who does volunteer work in her community and has work on the side, but I am also a full-time student.

I take pride in the things I do but most importantly, take pride in my family. Yes, my loving family- my kids who are the angels of my life, and my husband, the subject of my love (and who also happens to be my best friend). Think of it as 'mushy,' 'corny,' or even 'dramatic,'- but that's what I really want to say and just to point out that no matter how busy my schedule is even if I have tons of projects or homeworks to do, I just have to drop them all and be at the bedside of my child who is sick.

Last night's original plan was for me to take a rest, a full rest so to speak. In fact, I wasn't able to get any sleep at all the night before. I only had two hours of sleep because of a journalism article I have to finish. Don't dare think that I was doing things last minute or I was procrastinating because I've left things undone- I wasn't. After being a mom of almost 10 years, there's no excuse for me not to be organized or not to plan things ahead of time. The truth is, I went to see a hockey game on Tuesday night as part of our course requirement and it has to be done on that night. After seeing the game, I went home to write my article which has to be submitted on or before 8 a.m. the day after.

I have planned ahead of time what I was supposed to do. And so when I got home and started writing on my article, I was surprised to see how time flew by so quickly and that I only have a couple of hours left to sleep before I would wake up and get myself ready for school (and prepare a few things for my kids).
That morning, I went to school and submitted my article. I was happy that I was able to get that one done. And so on that day, I had already pre-conditioned myself that I will go to bed early so I could catch up with some sleep. Although I have tons of assignments to do which are relatively lengthy and require a lot of thinking, I just simply have to put them aside and look after my physical well-being. But all that has changed- since my child was sick, I just have to take care of her, look after her, and make sure that she'll be okay till the morning after. And so, I threw my plan of sleeping early or do any kind of homework- I just attended to my sick child. After all, I'm still a mother (and will always be) and mothers care for their children. This happening also reminded me of a few times when I just had to stay awake all night and look after my kids who were in the hospital getting treatment, or at home getting well. It happened before and I knew how it was like. The welfare of my kids would always come first in my priorities and I believe as a mother, you won't feel settled until you make sure your kids will be okay.

So, how will I now survive with my tons of homeworks?... Strategy! I still have a few days left and those next few days will be spent on doing those homeworks due for submission next week.

Here are a couple of quotes which I find very interesting so read on!

"Love is a durable fire in the mind ever burning; never sick, never old, never dead from itself, never turning."
(Walter Raleigh Sr.)

And my favourite-

"LOVE IS STAYING UP ALL NIGHT WITH A SICK CHILD - OR A HEALTHY ADULT."
(David Frost)

1 comment:

  1. You're amazing Desiree. I am always so busy due to school, but you get it all done with so much more on your plate! I hope you can get a full night of sleep tonight, you've earned it! And I hope your daughter is feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete