Friday, March 19, 2010

Brownies, Anyone?

It's a Friday night and I'm sitting here at my desk reading my Facebook page. This week has been really busy but thankfully, it draws to a close as I left school a few hours ago. Then suddenly, the sweet and tempting aroma of baked brownies distracted me. Brownies? Did I hear it right?...

Brownies--our all-time family favourite was lovingly baked by my two kids and husband. Apparently, I didn't participate in this family baking activity today. My family was kind enough to prepare it themselves and that gave my two kids the opportunity to develop their baking skills further--thanks to my husband who is also the official family chef since I started school last year.

Many times before I would bake many kinds of goodies like chocolate cakes, banana breads, peanut butter cookies, apple pies, oatmeal chocolate cookies, and many others. Everything I bake has become my kids' favourite.

In a short while, we'll be eating our home-made brownies. Now I'd like to share with you a recipe that is truly one of my personal favourites--a recipe by Julie Van Rosendaal in her book, One Smart Cookie.
Here's the recipe to help you prepare--ENJOY!

MARSHMALLOW MUDSLIDE COOKIES

Ingredients:
1 large egg
2 large egg whites
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup cocoa
1 tbsp. margarine or butter, melted
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
18 regular marshmallows, cut in half widthwise

Chocolate Drizzle:
1/2 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp. cocoa
2 tbsp. milk


Procedure:
* Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
* In a large bowl, combine egg, egg whites, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla and mix until well blended and smooth.
* In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the egg mixure and stir just until combined.
* Transfer half of the batter into a medim bowl. Stir coconut into the remaining batter and spread evenly in an 8" x 8" pan that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.
* Add cocoa, margarine and nuts to the remaining batter and stir just until blended. With a spatula, gently spread the chocolate batter over the coconut batter.
* Bake for 25-30 minutes, until just set. Remove from oven and place marshmallows cut side down in rows on top of the brownies. Return to the oven for 2-5 minutes, until marshmallows are pale golden and puffed.
* To make Chocolate Drizzle, whisk together icing, sugar, cocoa and milk in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle over marshmallows. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
* Makes 12 brownies.

1 comment:

  1. I have got to try these; they look and sound delicious! Especially the chocolate drizzle! Anything chocolate...Murray says the same thing!

    ReplyDelete