Friday, March 18, 2011

Colours of Hope Leaves a Legacy



I went down to Siloam Mission yesterday to hand in the reports on my recently concluded Colours of Hope event. I was all prepped up for the meeting with the director, with all my receipts and documents in tow. The meeting went by very smoothly as we skimmed through the papers and ran down the list of donors to be receipted. After our 40-minute discussion, the meeting wrapped up with a visit to the art room.

The director shared so many updates with me that I can hardly remember each one. Everything that she shared had something to do with the impact that my event had generated. I may forget some of them but what remained within me is the great feeling that something really good came out of my hard work; those many long nights that I have endured just so I can stay on top of everything with regards to planning, coordination, and preparation.

As we entered the art room, I was amazed on how differently it looks now. Before it was more of a spare room to store various stuff like chairs and tables but today, the venue is more inviting and exhibits an air of inspiration with walls decorated with framed artworks done by the patrons housed within a board meant for this purpose. Shelves house numerous books as well as game boards, and topped with young plants in uniformed plastic containers.

The director continued on to share inspiring stories and developments. One of which is the joint venture between Siloam Mission and Red Road Lodge to conduct a common art program made possible by a grant recently awarded. Because of my event, many had registered for the art program and many more are interested to join. There are also several interests and proposals coming from the outside and one of which is the commissioning of the patrons’ artworks. Also, Siloam Mission may eventually turn this into a full-time program. There were other wonderful developments happening as well. Patrons were so encouraged that they are so proud and happy to see their artworks on display in the facility. At least for once in their lives, these patrons have something to be proud of which could help them regain their self-worth and eventually move forward from a life of homelessness to a life that is more productive. The place creates so much attention among interested individuals that it can serve as a starting point for people to sign-up for Siloam Mission's other programs.

Before I left the premises, the director pointed out to me the walls of their dining area decorated with artworks. I was so touched by the colourful display that it melted my heart. The director remarked to me, “You have encouraged us.” At that moment, it dawned on me that inspiration, encouragement, and hope were the lasting results of my event and anyone can see it as one walks in at the very area where the homeless come in to seek help and ask for a meal. The very area where people with broken hearts and broken lives, look for answers and find a little comfort from people who care. The colourful display of artworks including a huge heart made out of collage was meticulously created by the hands of the very people suffering from homelessness and poverty. The artwork created was a sign of hope to anyone, who may think that there’s nothing left in life but great despair.

As I left the building, the very faces of people who contributed to my event flashed in my mind. I left Siloam Mission with a big smile knowing that I live in a city where generous people live and where community spirit prevails.

Here are more photos of the art room that I was talking about. The last couple of photos show you the printed cards I received as a token from Siloam Mission in appreciation of my hard work. To Siloam Mission, ‘thank you’ for the great opportunity of serving you!







No comments:

Post a Comment