Tuesday, October 6, 2009

With A Little Help From My Friends


Oh, aren't we all thankful that we have friends to lean on?...I am!

In the midst of our busy lives and the mundane time we spend on trivial things, the listening ear and comforting words of a friend makes all the difference. Friendship brings back memories of times spent on the beach, at the playground or at the first school you went to. You recall the first person who came up to you and said, "What's your name?" or that somebody who shared her toy with you, 'though she only had one.

Over the years, I have collected dozens of letters from friends near and far. I have this big carton box, full of letters and cards from special people, who either remembered my birthday or simply dropped me a note to find out how I was doing. That big carton box is still in my parents' house, where I am sure it will be kept safe.

Growing up, I collected different kinds of  stationeries. Most were perfumed and fancy-looking. I used to swap stationeries with friends from school and around the neighbourhood. Collecting it was the coolest thing to do. I would normally end up with stacks of decorated papers, and try to figure out how I am going to store them. Collecting stationeries was the 'in' thing to do. But if I were to look at the difference between then and now, my girls would rather swap their DS game cards with their friends. I observe that friendship takes a whole new meaning these days--little girls don't swap stationeries anymore but rather, they exchange virtual names of characters they created, so they can invite one another in their own make-believe world on the internet. Still, my girls would love to have their friends over at home, so they can play, watch a really good movie and do some crafts.

Two nights ago, I watched a video featuring Prime Minister Stephen Harper belting out the song, "With A Little Help From My Friends," by the Beatles. It was a surprise appearance at a National Arts Centre gala, where the elite, prominent movers and shakers in the society were present. I think he's 'cool' and his rendition of the song is amazing. I am wondering now whether Harper sings on a regular basis.  I mean, does he sing in front of his friends? Well, he sang quite well in the video. He was confident and so relaxed. He even poked fun at himself, wryly singing, “I need somebody to love.” To add some colour and bring  some warm sunshine to my blog, I chose to post his video. By the way, here are the lyrics of the song for your reading. Enjoy!


With A Little Help From My Friends

What would you think if I sang out of tune,
would you stand up and walk out on me?
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song,
and I'll try not to sing out of key.

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends.
Mm, I get high with a little help from my friends.
Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends.

What do I do when my love is away?
(Does it worry you to be alone?)
How do I feel by the end of the day?
(Are you sad because you're on your own?)

No, I get by with a little help from my friends
Mm, I get high with a little help from my friends.
Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends.

Do you need anybody?
I need somebody to love.
Could it be anybody?
I want somebody to love.

Would you believe in a love at first sight?
Yes, I'm certain that it happens all the time.
What do you see when you turn out the light?
I can't tell you but I know it's mine.

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends.
Mm, I get high with a little help from my friends.
Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends.

Do you need anybody?
I just need someone to love.
Could it be anybody?
I want somebody to love.

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends.
Mm, I get high with a little help from my friends.
Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends.
...with a little help from my friends.

3 comments:

  1. One of my favorite Beatles' songs. Why did it have to be Stephen? Whyyyyyyyy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha, ha! I have the same question, too! Well at least, Harper didn't sing out of key :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute video. But why does Harper look like he's in black and white while everything else is in colour? Creepy.

    ReplyDelete