Thursday, September 17, 2009

Dash Some Love Into Your Kids' Lunches

It’s been a few weeks already since school had started. For most of us, this is the time to get back to our regular routine of sending our kids off to school, picking them up, enrolling them in dance or piano classes and many others. Yes, it can be pretty hectic and daunting at first. But once we are following our schedules consistently, we’ll be able to get accustomed to it in no time.

Part of our kids’ day in school is eating their snacks and lunches. Most of us (I hope), have no problem preparing their food. If we follow Canada’s Food Guide To Healthy Eating, not only are we helping our kids, but we are also doing ourselves a favour, by keeping ourselves informed of what a balanced diet is. You know even as grown-ups, we too, also need to be reminded!

This morning, as I was preparing my kids’ lunches, my creative juices started to spill out. I suddenly thought of giving my kids a surprise. I took several markers and two napkins, and started working on something which will surely touch their hearts.

My finished product?...two works of art! An expressive way to show my love!

When my kids got back home from school, they were so excited. Both of them brought out the napkins I gave them, and gave me a warm, big hug. My youngest child thanked me for it and admitted that she was so surprised to find it in her lunch bag. My other daughter expressed her appreciation by giving me a kiss. At that moment, I felt so loved and appreciated.

Doing thoughtful things for our children, no matter how big or small they are, are always a ‘big hit’ to them. This cutesy love note writing (as I call it), is something which I have been doing for several years since my kids started going to school. It never fails to surprise them, and it just makes their day even brighter.

After I received their kisses and hugs, my husband got into the scene and jokingly asked, “Where’s mine?” I replied, “Oh, don’t you worry. I’ll make one for you—besides, you got a lot of kisses and hugs from me already.”

Husbands, they just can’t get enough!

5 comments:

  1. I think I'm going to print this blog entry and put it on my fridge. Hopefully my mom will get the hint...

    Great idea Desiree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha,ha,ha! I think that's a GREAT STRATEGY! Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Desiree, these are memories your children will never forget. What you do for them is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete