Friday, April 22, 2011

I Survived the Program with a Positive Attitude


Time definitely flies by so quickly and it's amazing to know that I'm on the final leg of my program. I'm currently on my work placement at a big telecom company here in Manitoba. All I can say is that I'm enjoying every bit of it and learning a lot of new things.

I have always told myself that wherever I work, there is definitely something new to learn. Keeping a positive attitude towards work and learning, is the key to a satisfying and successful career.

I knew of someone who was undeniably intelligent and he had proven himself to emerge from every conceivable debate there was with such enthusiasm and unimaginable wits. But one thing he lacked was the ability to appreciate learning from other people, wherein he thought that he knew it all or didn't need to be bothered hearing from what others have to say. This might be a case of opinion or preference, but his attitude most of the time got in the way.

This reminds me on how important it is to be flexible and have an open mind, especially learning from other people who have treasure troves of experiences and insights to share. We're talking about industry professionals who have 'been there' and have something to share to the rest of us, who are just about to embark on our professional careers as communicators.

I have worked in the advertising/marketing business (in addition to the several other industries I have worked for) for over 10 years but have decided two years ago to go back to school in order to upgrade myself. I have never regretted going back to school and I believe that my desire to continuously learn, helped me to be succesful in the program. I swallowed my pride so many times but realized earlier on that pride wouldn't do anyone any good at all- so why bother with it?... Throughout the course of my program, I learned so many great things from people who are both older and younger than me. It was such a smorgasbord of great and wonderful people- each one has something good to share.

A week from now, I'll be finished with my work placement and would have to scour the job market for an indefinite period of time.  As I prepare myself for my future job position, I believe that it's high time to get my resume going and put some 'finishing touches' to my portfolio.

3 comments: