Friday, February 4, 2011

Be "Cherry" With Author Matt Duggan on This Friday's Reading Series


Whenever there is a new writer that comes along (at least for me), one question I would often ask is—what kind of stuff does he write? Before entering the Creative Communications program at Red River College, I was the type of reader who had ‘settled down’ to reading books that suited my liking. I preferred inspirational books and lots of ‘feel good’ books over murder-themed novels. I assume that you already have an idea what these books are!

In the past two years of being in the program, I have re-learned how to ‘expand’ the kinds or genres of books that I read from historically drawn themes to contemporary present day murder stories. To read such books brings me to a higher level of appreciation for such works of literature. Just like in gourmet food, reading books of different themes from different authors, enriches one’s palette and brings fullness to one’s soul.

On February 4, author Matt Duggan will be our guest writer at the CreComm Reading Series. The CreComm Reading Series curated by K.I. Press, brings writers of all genres to Winnipeg. Opening acts are current and former CreCommers with creative works-in-progress. Matt Duggan will be reading at 10 a.m. in Room P107, Roblin Centre at the Exchange District Campus, 160 Princess Street, Winnipeg. He will also be reading at 7 p.m. in Aqua Books, 274 Garry Street.

My fellow CreCommer Greg Berg, will be the opening act for author Matt Duggan. Greg Berg is an aspiring writer who is still working on his YA novel entitled, Our Glass, for his Independent Professional Project at Red River College. If everything goes well, Greg Berg plans to have his novel published by the end of this year. Greg Berg’s novel sounds very promising. It is one work that I will surely look forward to, and include in my collection of contemporary writings should it reach its publication.

But for now, Matt Duggan is someone that we should check out. He wrote a novel called, The Royal Woods, which is a tall tale for children set in a suburban subdivision of a prairie city. This was nominated for The Moonbeam Award and the Silver Birch Award. His latest work, Cherry Electra, is about a dirty cottage weekend that culminates in murder. Quill and Quire describe it as “satisfying bit of country-cottage gothic.”

Matt Duggan is a graduate of Churchill High School and currently teaches high school in Toronto. He is delighted to be back here in Winnipeg and have the opportunity to read his latest novel. So if you are in for a new journey in literary writing and would like to know more about Cherry Electra, come on down to either of the reading sessions at Red River College or at Aqua Books. Let’s give Matt Duggan the floor and let him read from his latest work. I believe that he has something to offer to anyone who would take the time to listen, and be more knowledgeable of the kind of writing he does. I have a good feeling that I will be in a for an interesting treat this Friday.














No comments:

Post a Comment